Thursday, October 20, 2005

In Twenty Seconds




2002, Angsunual, Cambodia

One day I decided to make my own camera called "a pinhole camera" because it strongly attracted me with its special characteristic that it could produce a special picture containing long exposure time, from several seconds to several minutes, in a single sheet even though it usually looked quite blur. After making my first pinhole camera, I had to take several shots to measure the exposure number called "F-number" because the hole which I made was not so accurate. I opened the shutter for 10, 20, 30, 40 seconds… Before doing it, I was thinking of what kind of object could be good model for the process. Then I decided to use my watch because each picture would show how long the exposure time was. In the viewfinder of my imagination, taking a watch didn't look good, so I put KEKO, my lizard doll, next to the watch. Finally, I got the result of the experiment saying my pinhole had 400F exposure :)

The pinhole camera had accompanied me when I was moving around in Cambodia. Sometimes I broke it because of my carelessness, so I had to repair it again and again. When I left Cambodia, I gave it to a religious sister who really enjoyed my pictures. Of course, I knew that she couldn't use it. But I wanted to give this special equipment of mine which took longer than any other camera to capture images. Sometimes this picture reminds me of the happy memories. Then I imagine, while smiling, that the pinhole is probably waiting for light somewhere in hot and sticky Cambodia to take another image of a happy moment.

2 Comments:

Blogger becci brown said...

I've stumbled across your blog...I enjoy photography and some of your shots are really powerful. PLease tell me how to make a pinhole camera!

12:32 AM  
Blogger Inyoung said...

dear bec, thanks for the compliment on my humble works. if you want to know about the pinhole camera, check this site, http://pinholeresource.com/ you can get many resources about it. :)

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home