Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Sangiorgio Gemma




"Sangiorgio Gemma"
2004, Melbourne, Australia

There is a public cemetery not far from my community. It takes only 10 minutes to get there by foot. The cemetery is quite big. It has a lot of graves, so it’s nearly impossible to count the number of graves there. From time to time I take a walk in the cemetery to reflect or to pray silently.

Some days ago, I accidentally found this baby, Sangiorgio Gemma, who had lived a single day. I don’t know who she is. Gemma’s grave was located in the midst of the old graves which looked like deserted ruins covered in wild weeds. But her tomb was very noticeable because it was so small. Just next to her, there were several other graves where babies were buried together. One Teddy bear was sitting there with withered flowers. For a moment, I imagined Gemma’s funeral ceremony which was for the one-day soul. Then, I imagined the funeral of my 33-year-old soul.

* Polaroid SX-70 land camera and Timezero film

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home